When my son was just 7 years old, he had his first set of braces. His bottom teeth grew in as two rows, rather than beside each other, and we had to correct it right away before his jaw didn’t leave room. He only had them on the bottom, and only on four teeth, but they still bothered him a lot. They cut up his lower lip and he hated trying to clean around them. It was quite an ordeal, but thankfully was short term.
When he was a teenager, he needed braces again. He never did get them though, because he was dead set against the idea. He did not want to deal with the sore mouth and cut lips again. He didn’t want the appearance of braces and he definitely didn’t want the appearance of braces.
My son was in the school band and played the euphonium. I imagine that braces would have interfered with his ability to play too. I wish I had known about Invisalign, because that would have solved most of those problems! He’s nearly 20 now, but maybe with Invisalign as an option, he could still get straight teeth.
Some facts about Invisalign:
– Invisalign Teen effectively straightens teeth like metal braces and is an ideal choice for active teens
– Invisalign is not only available for adults. The new Invisalign Teen was developed with leading orthodontists who understand the unique treatment and compliance needs of teens as well as their active lifestyles
– Every patient’s needs are different and there are many factors that determine the cost of Invisalign treatment. But, in most cases, Invisalign is comparable in costs to traditional braces, is covered by most dental insurance plans, and affordable financing options are always available.
– Invisalign’s treatment capabilities are not limited to mild/cosmetic cases – Invisalign can help correct a broad range of cases: Overly crowded teeth, widely spaced teeth, crossbite, overbite and underbite
– Invisalign treatment is also ideal for busy parents because there are never any emergency appointment from broken wires/brackets; it requires fewer appointment (because you get your sets in advance) and less chair time (for those uncomfortable tightenings)
– The total treatment time with Invisalign averages between nine and 15 months and the number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30. Treatment time is about the same as with metal braces and in some cases, shorter.
– There are almost two million Invisalign cases in treatment or completed worldwide (15-20% are teens)
You can win an Invisalign Teen full treatment (a value of up to $7,000!) by entering here. Full rules & regulations for the contest can be found here http://tinyurl.com/3dl2ck8.
Each reader will have a chance to win their own Invisalign Outdoor Sport Chair (fold-able & comes with carry case) – to tote to-and-from all your kids’ games and activities.
o Giveaway is open to Canadian residents only
o Winners can only win from one blog
Disclosure – I am participating in the Invisalign Teen program by Mom Central Canada on behalf of Align Technology, Inc. I received compensation as a thank you for my participation. The opinions on this blog are my own.