I went through the turmoil of teaching a teen to drive. I thought it would be so fun to watch him learn to drive, until I was sitting in the passenger seat and realized that it was a lot more scary than fun. I remember holding my breath as I watched him drive off on his own for the first time. What I wouldn’t have given to be able to keep an eye on him while he was driving without me. With MyKey, Ford has offered parents more control over what their kids are doing when they are out on the road.
While I was NAIAS this week, I had the chance to talk to some of the Ford team about MyKey. Watch this video to learn a little more about it.
With the MyKey system, parents can program the key to do the following:
- set the seatbelt reminder chime to continue at regular intervals until the belt is buckled
- remind the driver that the fuel is getting low earlier than it usually would
- set the top speed for the driver
- limit the volume on the radio
- send speed alert chimes when the vehicle reaches certain speeds
I have three more children to go through the driving stage, and I am thrilled that there are options like this that we can take advantage of when the time comes.