Saputo, the makers of Mozzarellissima, are celebrating the start of BBQ season. Saputo has been Canada’s premier authentic Italian cheese maker since 1954. Mozzarellissima is their award-winning stretch mozzarella with unparalleled melting & stretching qualities, which make it ideal for pizza, lasagna and a huge variety of other baked family favourites.
This spring, Saputo is encouraging Canadians to think beyond the BBQ basics this season, and discover the wow-factor your BBQ can add to your next family dinner or celebration. Saputo has worked with their recipe developer, Quebec cookbook author and TV personality Sabrina Tutino, to create some easy to make BBQ recipes with a creative twist.
To celebrate the art of creative menu planning, Saputo is also inviting Canadians to enter the Saputo à la Carte Summer Contest. With a few simple clicks and an imaginative approach to pairing dishes, contest participants can create a delectable menu from a list of options, and have a chance to win an ultimate $50,000 backyard makeover from Saputo. The contest runs until June 17th, if you’d like to see more info about it you can find it at saputoalacarte.ca.
Mozzarellissima Grilled Stuffed Tomatoes
Kick your tomatoes into high gear with this tasty dish. Perfect as an appetizer or side dish for your grilled steak, this delicious recipe is sure to satisfy. More great recipes can be found at saputo.ca.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes Serves: 4
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow pepper
- ½ large red onion
- olive oil, to taste
- Small handful fresh mint, finely chopped
- ¾ cup Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, shredded 175 mL
1. Cut a slice of approximately ½ inch (1 cm) off the top of each tomato. With a small knife, cut the inside of the fleshy part of the tomato (do not cut through the bottom of the tomato). Using a spoon, remove the inside of the tomatoes, leaving about 1 cm of flesh attached to skin. Discard the seeds and juice.
2. Lightly salt the inside of the tomatoes and place them with the open sides downwards, on a plate covered with paper towels.
3. Cut the zucchini lengthwise into 4 slices. Cut the pepper in half and remove the inside. Also cut the half onion in 2. Brush vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on direct medium heat until they are tender. Remove vegetables from heat. Once cooled, chop the zucchini, onion and pepper into small pieces. Add the mint and a drizzle of olive oil to the vegetables. Mix and season to taste.
4. Stuff the tomatoes with the vegetable mixture and top with the Mozzarellissima. Place on the barbecue over medium indirect heat, until cheese is melted and vegetables are heated through (approximately 5 to 6 minutes).
Tips: You can also add a drizzle of balsamic reduction over vegetables or as a finishing touch on the Mozzarellissima. Serve hot, as an appetizer or side dish with grilled meat, poultry or fish
You can win a gift basket including everything you need to create the ultimate BBQ menu including: a gourmet burger press, spice pots, a pizza stone, meat thermometers, cheese grater and of course full value coupons for Mozzarellissima, valued at $150.
Contest closes June 15th