Breakfast is my favourite meal, and let’s face it…brunch is just breakfast spread out until lunch! I’m cutting back on bread in my diet but I love my breakfast casseroles, so I needed to find a way to still have my beloved breakfast casserole without the bread… and I need it to taste just as good as always so that the whole family still enjoys it.
I found the answer in the freezer aisle at my local grocery store: Cavendish Rustic Red Diced potatoes. I know Cavendish makes great food, because I buy it all of the time, and the size and cut of these potatoes looked perfect for this recipe. I used a half a bag of the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish, and then layered my ingredients on top.
- Half a bag of Cavendish Rustic Red Diced potatoes
- 1 cup ham crumble (I throw leftover ham into my ninja and then freeze it for recipes like this one)
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sweet pepper, chopped (green would look prettiest, but I used orange in this recipe because I had it on hand)
- 1/8 cup chopped onion
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Layer the first five ingredients in a casserole dish.
- Mix the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl and then pour over the layered ingredients in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked thoroughly.
I was so pleased with how this casserole turned out. It had more flavour and texture than the same breakfast bake made with bread cubes rather than potatoes, and as you can see from the nutrition facts, it’s actually fairly low in calories!
Cavendish From the Farm makes homestyle, low fat Potato Wedges, Strips and Red Diced Potatoes, fresh From The Farm. These potatoes are low in fat, freshly cut and salted with sea salt which fits with the type of food I am feeding my family. They are also easy to make, which is great for me! I picked up a bag of strips as well, because fish and chips is always a quick and easy meal that pleases my family.
“Disclosure – I am participating in the From the Farm blog tour by Mom Central Canada on behalf of Cavendish. I received compensation as a thank you for participating and for sharing my honest opinion. The opinions on this blog are my own.”