My Own Worst Enemy

Every morning I get up and look in the mirror and get saddened by what I see. The double chin, the stomach that people stare at wondering if I’m pregnant, the fat thighs and the jiggly arms. It’s a far cry from the slight girl I was for 30 years, and it’s not who I want to be. Every day I look at my reflection and think to myself that I need to do something about it. I need to lose weight. I need to exercise. I need to eat better.sheri exercise

And then the excuses start. I have no time. I can’t afford to go to the gym. I don’t have any workout clothes. My husband buys too much junk food. I have no will power.

And then the insecurities set in. I can’t go out and exercise in public because I’ll look stupid. I don’t want to tell people I’m trying to lose weight because I might fail. I don’t want to ask for support, because I don’t want to look weak.

But if there’s on thing life has taught me, it is that things don’t change if you don’t change them. So today I got up and told myself there would be no excuses. I will ignore my insecurities. I pulled on my old yoga pants and a yoga top that is fitting more than a little too snug. I pulled a big t-shirt over top of it and planned to do some exercises with the xbox, but then I changed my mind. I decided to go outside.

It’s was really cold outside. If I could make myself go outside in the frigid temperatures, then I wouldn’t have the winter excuse anymore. If I could pull on my daughter’s fluffy pink mittens and my husband’s Canada toque and walk/jog around the neighbourhood, then I would be breaking through that barrier that tells me I can’t look dumb in public (and I’m even showing all of you!).

So I did.  And I survived. And tomorrow I’m going to do it again.

Comments

1. Cheryl Grandy says

Any little bit you do is more than you were doing before. I always felt that I couldn’t start an exercise program because I didn’t have time to do it every day. I’ve finally realized that even if I can only do it once a week, it’s a lot more than I was doing before and will help make me healthier. Congratulations on making a start.

2. loriag says

I made a start, but I have fallen off the wagon. I gained 20 lbs this last fall. I will try to get back in the groove.

3. Darlene W says

Each day I set a goal for myself and most times I achieve it. Mostly it is walking that extra block. Like everyone says , something is better than nothing. after the walk I refresh with OXY cleansers and wipes.

4. Darlene W says

I too am my own worst enemy, I skip meals and then grab anything when I am so starving I just cant go on.

5. Amy Lovell says

Wayy to goo!!!! The first step towards healthy living is always the hardest! Ive recently started eating healthy and its a daily struggle, one of the two big things I did was 1 get rid of the full body mirror, if I see myself it will only make me feel worse, and 2 I stopped buying junk food, If its not in the house theres no chance of me caving and munching out. Good luck on your journey!~

6. Treen Goodwin says

I am my own worst enemy as well .. i have always been a bigger girl , them i quit smoking 7 years ago and i am the biggest i have ever been .. the struggle to eat healthy is so hard , but i know i need to really set my mind to it .