I admire mothers who work either in or outside of the home, stay on top of all of the household chores and cook everything from scratch. They are amazing and I wish I could be like that, but that is not me. I do like to provide my family with healthy meals that they will enjoy though, and I find ways to do that even if it involves a can opener now and then.
Yesterday I whipped up a delicious chicken cacciactore recipe, and it only took me less than ten minutes to prepare (minus cooking of course).
- 5 chicken breast
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 can tomato sauce
- ½ large can diced tomato
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a large pan, set the heat to medium and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and onion to the pan and mix before adding the chicken breasts.
- Cook each breast for 5 minutes on each side.
- Add the bell peppers and zucchini to the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to the pan.
- Lower the heat to low/medium.
- Place a lid on the pan and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
When I serve this dish, I slice the chicken breast and add the tomato zucchini mixture to the top of the chicken. It’s great served with rice or pasta too!