About the only time of year you will find me doing a lot of baking is right now, during the holidays. I love to cook up a full course dinner just about any time, but baking requires a little more finesse. It also requires an easy to follow recipe, or I end up with an inedible mess! Thankfully Gay Lea provided me with a cookbook full of excellent shortbread cookie recipes, so I decided to try my hand at some pretty shortbread cookies.
- 2 cups GAY LEA – Butter Sticks – Unsalted, softened
- 1 cup Fruit Or Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Cornstarch Or Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- Decorations and icing
- Using electric mixer, beat butter until very creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. In four additions, using a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into butter mixture, stirring well between each addition. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead gently for 3 minutes until shortbread holds together well. Divide into three balls. Wrap each ball with plastic wrap; flatten into discs and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap from one piece of dough. Flour work surface well and knead dough lightly for 30 seconds. Re-flour surface and top of dough. Roll out dough until ¼” (5mm) thick, constantly rotating to make sure it’s not sticking to the surface and lightly dusting the top of the dough with flour. Cut out shapes, using cookie cutter.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Transfer to parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Repeat with remaining chilled dough. Re-roll leftover pieces only once, dusting with flour as necessary. Prick each cookie twice with fork tines. Bake in centre of oven for about 15 minutes or until dough is firm and underside is lightly golden. Cook on pan on racks. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
Don’t they look wonderful? They taste pretty good too. You can find the recipe in the Our Table Shared Meals cookbook published by Gay Lea. One of my lucky readers can win this cookbook along with a lot of other goodies in this Gay Lea gift basket that includes:
- All the snowmen decorating ingredients, in festive cello bags: gum drops, chocolate chips, jelly beans, coconut, liquorice whips and liquorice leather (I.e. Fruit by the foot)
- Gay Lea Cookbook & snowman recipe card
- Oven mitts
- 2 vouchers for Gay Lea butter
- A cute, festive reusable basket