They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and I think that it’s true to some extent. There are some meals that I make because I know that they make my husband happy, and chili is one of them. I have a few different chili recipes, and here is one of my favourites, three bean chili.
Three Bean Chili
- 1 lb. ground beef, turkey or pork
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cans baked beans in molasses
- 1 can white kidney beans (red kidney beans work too)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- Optional ingredients: mushrooms, corn, chopped zucchini
- Brown the ground meat.
- Rinse the fat off of the meat and add it to a large pot or slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to the pot.
- Cook on low heat for a minimum of four hours, stirring occasionally.
Serve your chili with toast, chips, garlic bread or salad. The great thing is, it freezes well so you can save it for another day. This is also an excellent dish to take to holiday pot luck meals or office parties.