What is there to do on a Royal Caribbean Cruise?

Recently I went on my my first cruise. I sailed to the Caribbean on Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas. Since I hadn’t been on a cruise before, I wondered what kinds of things there would be for us to do on board. Thankfully, there is no short answer to this question. For adult travelers, you can visit the casino or any of the night clubs available on board. The fitness center will keep you in shape. The live shows and movies will give you some relaxing entertainment, or you can relax poolside. If you enjoy shopping, you will be kept very  busy on the Promenade deck, where you can also find fun activities like cupcake decorating or live entertainment.

It is rare that I travel without any children, so I was focused on the family activities available on board. My nine year old daughter was my travel companion, and it felt like the cruise was designed with her in mind.

avery on RC cruise

When we arrived in our Ocean View stateroom with balcony, we found a Barbie layette and invitation to a Barbie tea party waiting. Avery is a girly-girl and the gifts brought an instant smile to her face, and the tea party was the most anticipated activity during our trip. That wasn’t the end of the Barbie fun for her. She attended a Barbie design class where she created a one of a kind dress for her new doll (shown at the tea party above). She learned proper etiquette from some real live Barbies and of course she dressed in her best dress to attend the tea party.

When Avery wasn’t in Barbie mode, she enjoyed swimming and playing in the H2O Zone water park. On the top deck she was able to play some mini golf and if she wanted she could have played basketball, went rock climbing or even tried a surf simulator.

royal caribbean 3

The arcade was generally a busy spot for kids, and  the children’s programming was excellent. I registered Avery for the Kids’ Programs and she joined some children her age for some fun, crafts and a movie while I had some grown up time. I could choose if I wanted her to be able to sign herself out of the room, and I preferred not to do that, so when it was time to pick her up I went and signed her out. I like the security of knowing she couldn’t be wandering around the ship unattended.

One of the really cool features on this ship was the ice rink. You could sign out some skates and a helmet and skate on the full sized ice rink while the less adventurous watch from the stands. There was even an ice show on board.

We had so many great experiences on board and tomorrow I will tell you about our shore excursions.

Sheri

Sheri

Social Media Specialist at Kidsumers
Sheri McDonald is a Mom to 4 awesome kids who range in age from 6 to 21. She is a Canadian Mom Blogger, a Travel Blogger, a Brand Ambassador, a Social Media Influencer, a Spokesperson and an amateur photographer. You can find her writing about family life, food, travel, Disney and family friendly products at Kidsumers (a play on the word 'consumers') and sharing her travel experience at Big Family Travels.
Sheri

@kidsumers

Love family, food, travel - Today's Parent Blogger - Mod of Monthly #FamilyTravelCA Chats - Ambassador for @HamiltonBeachCA - Also tweet @BigFamilyTravel
@Amielove7 Oops, I went to look now, lol @Listen2Lena @AIRMILES #airmilesshops - 10 hours ago
Sheri
Sheri

Comments

1. says

That is so neat that they really cater to kids like that. We have never been on a cruise and while I am sure I would love it I never knew if the kids would have fun.

2. Chandra Christine O'Connor says

that is something I really want to do, but I cant even sit on a swing without feeling sick. but wow to all the activities.

• says

The weather was bad and the water was rough because of that, so we definitely dealt with some sea sickness. We found that wearing the sea bands and taking anti-nausea medication helped a lot.

3. Judy C (Judy Cowan) says

Sounds like you and your daughter had a nice time! We have debated on a cruise but it doesn’t take much to make hubby seasick so we haven’t braved one yet.

4. says

I have never been on a cruise before and I have always wondered about what kid-friendly activities a ship might have. After reading your post I’m jealous! Even as an adult I would have loved to create my own Barbie dress and have a tea party. :-)

I can’t believe there is an ice skating rink on board. WOW! I would have never had thought about on a cruise ship.

It seems like they have EVERYTHING. It’s like a mini-floating city.

Thanks for the great review. Maybe some day I’ll go on a cruise and be able to write my own review.

5. Guppy5700 says

Looks like a very family friendly cruise ship! Did you find, as I recently found out on my first cruise, that there is so much to do that you just cant do it all ?!

6. Chandra Christine O'Connor says

i really want to do a cruise maybe one of these years as long as I have lots of motion sickness meds

7. Lynda Cook says

I would love to go on a cruise ship, with all the stuff these giant ships have it’s so amazing and the ports they also stop at, sounds like the perfect vacation to me

8. DARLENE W says

I am glad that you got to have some adult time, you could dress up and put on your Sugar Spun Necklace and have a wander around the ship, we loved our cruise

9. Elva Roberts says

I am pleasantly surprised at all the entertainment and activities. It is great in that they get to do activities that they enjoy and the parents are free to follow their own activities some of the time. This was an enlightening post for me.