I have many variations on my chili recipe and often what goes in it is dependent on what I find in the cupboard. On this particular day, I didn’t have any kidney beans on hand so I chose to use garbonzo beans in their place. Whatever bean you choose, it is sure to warm you from the inside on a cold day! Chili is one of my husband’s favourite meals, so I made sure to include it in the freezer bags I prepared for him while I was away.
Recipe: Freezer Bag Chili
- 1 lb ground meat, browned (I used ground beef)
- 1 can garbonzo beans, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can or jar tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Double bag you extra large ziploc bag to avoid disaster for this heavy freezer bag meal!
- Mix all ingredients in the bag. Remove as much air as possible and seal both bags. Freeze until ready to use.
- Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours before cooking.
- Place contents of the bag in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Do not open the lid or stir the contents during cooking.