Summertime is my favourite time of year. Evening walks, camp fires, fresh grown vegetables and picnics in the park are some of the things that make summer so special. One thing I don’t love about summer is cooking with the oven. There’s no need to heat up the house and sweat over a hot stove when I can make some sandwiches. Using Dempster’s Garden Vegetable bread for your summer DIY sandwich ensures that the kids are getting the vegetables they need too!
A traditional summer sandwich that pleases just about everyone is the egg salad sandwich. It tastes great, it’s healthy and when you pair it with some lettuce and tomato, it just tastes like summer. Here is an egg salad sandwich that my husband and I really enjoyed. I feel good knowing that we are making healthy and delicious choices.
- 4 slices Dempster's Garden Vegetable Bread
- 2 tbsp applewood smoked bacon mustard
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 slices cucumber, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices tomato
- green lettuce
- Spread some applewood smoked bacon mustard on each slice of bread.
- Mash the hard boiled eggs in a bowl with a fork.
- Add the onion and cucumber to the egg.
- Add the mayonnaise to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a layer of lettuce on two slices of bread.
- Top each lettuce lined slice of bread with half the egg salad mixture.
- Place two slices of tomato on each sandwich, top with the remaining slices of bread.
You can see more great sandwich ideas by checking out the DIYSandwich social media channels.