Where I grew up, we had ice cream bicycles. Eager teens would ride their ice cream bikes around town, with the ice cream cooler attached to the front of the bike, and a tiny bell announcing that they were in the area. I always wished that bell was a little louder so we would have time to run home and get money before it passed us by! When I was lucky enough to catch the ice cream bicycle I would have the hardest time deciding which delicious treat to get. To this day I love classic ice cream truck treats and now with the help of Smucker’s® I can make them at home!
Smucker’s® has some delicious ice cream toppings available to help families create ice cream truck inspired frozen treats right in their own kitchens. Their Sundae Syrup lineup includes Chocolate, Caramel and Strawberry, and my favourite, Smucker’s® Magic Shell® Chocolate Flavoured Topping. There’s something truly magical about chocolate that hardens when put on ice cream!
Smucker’s has put together some amazing recipes using their sundae syrups to recreate classic ice cream truck treats at home. You can find them all on Smuckers.ca, but here is a quick sample:
Magic Shell® Dipper Pops
Prep Time: 5 minutes + 2 hours freezing time
Makes: 1 pop
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Smucker’s® Magic Shell® ChocolateFlavoured Topping
- ½ cup (125 mL) vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, softened
- Place 1 tbsp (15 mL) Smucker’s® Magic Shell® on the bottom of 4 oz disposable cup.
- Top with ½ of ice cream, insert wooden stick and then top with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of Smucker’s® Magic Shell®, remaining ice cream and remaining Smucker’s® Magic Shell®.
- Freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Cut cup away from ice cream and roll in sprinkles to garnish.
Another fantastic ice cream treat is the Sweet & Salty Caramel Crunch Sundae.
Sweet & Salty Caramel Crunch Sundae
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 sundae
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Smucker’s® Sundae SyrupTM Caramel Flavoured Syrup, divided
- Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup (125 mL) vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) caramel popcorn
- Alternate layers of caramel flavoured syrup, salt and ice cream in parfait dish.
- Top with popcorn and end with syrup.
Doesn’t that look divine? Now my husband’s favourite ice cream truck treat is an ice cream cookie sandwich, and I knew I could easily recreate that. I added a little extra sweetness by putting a swirl of Smucker’s® Chocolate Flavoured Syrup on one side of the ice cream and Smucker’s® Caramel Sundae Syrup on the other side and simply put the sandwich together.
These turned out even better than the kind we used to buy off the ice cream truck!
What ice cream truck classic would you recreate?