He Called Me a Girl! #PGMom #LikeAGirl

I’ve heard it my whole life, the references about girls that imply girls are somehow less than boys. The derogatory remarks like “He runs like a girl” or “She throws like a girl”, and the statements like “Don’t be such a girl”. The other day I was at the school with my kids when my daughter’s friend told me my son had called him a girl. He was clearly upset and my son definitely didn’t mean it as a compliment. Rather than consequence my son and give in to the idea that being a girl is a bad thing, I told him that there was nothing wrong with that because girls are awesome. His mother quickly agreed and the boys moved on from their dispute.

I’m a grown woman and on an intellectual level I know that those statements mean nothing. I know that I am every bit as capable as a man and I know my daughter has just as much potential as her brothers. On an emotional level, those statements hurt me. They hurt because of what they imply but also because so they are so widely accepted. It hurts me because I don’t want my daughter to grow up being treated as if she is not as fast, as strong or as important as her male counterparts. It is time for that to stop. Watch and share this video if you agree.

Always is inviting girls and women everywhere to join the movement and share what they proudly do #LikeAGirl. Tweet, take a picture, shoot a video or send a message using the hashtag #LikeAGirl to take a stand and show young girls everywhere that doing things “like a girl” should never be used as an insult – that it means being strong, talented and downright amazing.

Here are some pictures of my daughter doing things “like a girl”.

IMG_2365

She climbed all the way to the top, like a girl.

IMG_2380

She shot that arrow, like a girl.

IMG_2388

And she hit her target too, just like a girl.

I can’t wait to see what photos all of you share. I know that we can make a difference!

Sheri

Sheri

Social Media Specialist at Kidsumers
Sheri McDonald is a Mom to 4 awesome kids who range in age from 6 to 21. She is a Canadian Mom Blogger, a Travel Blogger, a Brand Ambassador, a Social Media Influencer, a Spokesperson and an amateur photographer. You can find her writing about family life, food, travel, Disney and family friendly products at Kidsumers (a play on the word 'consumers') and sharing her travel experience at Big Family Travels.
Sheri

@kidsumers

Love family, food, travel - Today's Parent Blogger - Mod of Monthly #FamilyTravelCA Chats - Ambassador for @HamiltonBeachCA - Also tweet @BigFamilyTravel
Hope to see you at the #JSPedal2014 Twitter Party! 9:30PM EST Sept. 4 RSVP at http://t.co/MKA3Nni0Mj - 16 mins ago
Sheri
Sheri

Comments

1. Judy Cowan says

Great post and definitely a message that needs to be spread – Girls are great and can do anything they want!

2. Shelley N says

I lived in a neighbourhood where I was one of the youngest and one of the few girls -talk about a double whammy! I can so totally relate to this. Road hockey was huge on our street but the youngest rarely were allowed to play with the gang and a girl was like poison. I practiced with my Dad and kept asking to join. Eventually I knew I would get a chance and I wanted to be ready. One day they were really short of people so I got to play and I scored a goal. Of course they called my goal a “fluke” but in reality they knew it wasn’t. After that I got to play as much as the younger boys did and I was given a grudging respect.

3. Jeannie says

I really enjoyed reading this post of yours. I don’t understand why doing things like a ‘girl’ or ‘boy’ has to have negative connotations. I am a girl and I do things like a girl and I’m proud of that!

4. Chandra Christine O'Connor says

finally a feminine hygiene video that is freaking amazing. That was awesome!

5. DARLENE W says

My granddaughters have been raised to be “just a girl” and they excel at everything they do

6. heidi c. says

This is a message that I have been giving to my girls since they were very little. I am glad that Stayfree is spreading and encouraging this.

7. Christy Martin says

Powerful video and unfortunately it all makes sense now. I never realized how hurtful “like a girl” could be, I just ignored it. I grew up with 3 brothers and held my own. However, whenever they wanted to be mean – the phrase was common. I made sure I was the son my father never had (sports wise) and I was. He was my soccer coach for 5 years, because I played like a girl! It is sad to say though, most girls don’t grow up with 3 brothers and would find these words most hurtful, once they figure out what they mean. I also agree with the young woman in the video, age 11-13 confidence drops and for a spell you wonder how like a girl you are supposed to be etc.

8. Janie N @copperjane says

It is a important message #LikeAGirl I am the oldest of a farmers daughter, being a girl never even came into the picture anytime. I still did everything. Hunting with my dad to fixing the truck. Yet, I did take Ballet lessons and ended up being a dance instructor. Heaven forbid my hubby implying I can’t do something like drywall the garage etc. :)