I am looking for healthy and delicious ways to cook my garden vegetables, and also ways to make a meal quickly and easily. With bowls full of tomatoes, a fridge full of zucchini and some chicken breasts ready to cook, I went to work on this recipe. It doesn’t necessarily photograph well, but it tasted delicious. It is inspired by the Hellmans and parmesan cheese chicken recipe.
Chicken & Garden Vegetables
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 8 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, heat until brown.
- Add the zucchini and cooked until browned.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, salt and pepper. Heat on medium-low for ten minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pan, cover and heat on medium for 15 minutes.
- Mix the mayonnaise and parmesan cheese in a small bowl, top each chicken breast with some of this mixture until it is all use up. Cover and heat for another 15 minutes.
- Serve the chicken breast over rice.
- Top with a large spoonful of vegetable mixtures and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
I had to drain some of the liquid out of the vegetable mixture before adding the chicken because I didn’t properly drain the spinach. If you are finding it is very watery, I recommend you do the same. This is how it looked before I drained it.
You can also use greek yogurt in place of the mayonniase, and the powdered parmesan cheese would likely work well too. It has a sweet flavour from the fresh tomatoes, and it’s packed full of nutrients!
How are you eating your garden vegetables?