I have been picking zucchini from my garden for weeks and the fridge is really starting to fill up! I have grilled zucchini and stuffed zucchini and today I got busy making one of my favourite treats, zucchini bread. I made this double chocolate zucchini bread that is shown below and it was amazing! The whole family enjoyed it so much that it was gone within hours of making it.
Then I made one of my own zucchini bread recipes. I have been making variations of this zucchini bread for years. It is a tasty way to use your zucchini and it’s a perfect way to sneak some extra veggies into your children.
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix the zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick or paring knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool before removing from loaf pan.
You can substitute the oil with applesauce and you can add raisins or nuts to add a little extra something to your zucchini bread.
I love using my garden vegetables to create delicious treats like this for my family. Since I don’t want to eat nothing but zucchini bread for the next few weeks but I do want to use my fresh zucchini for more bread, I have frozen some shredded zucchini to use in future recipes.