Last month I created Ham and Cheese Quiche Cups using a Maple Leaf Foods Country Kitchen Honey & Maple Flavour Smoked Ham. I had a huge ham to work with, so I created a second recipe that day, Ham & Cheese Zucchini Boats. All of the vegetables in these zucchini boats were grown in my garden, which makes it a little extra special to me.
These Zucchini boats are very filling on their own, but they are very nice with a salad or vegetable on the side as well. My kids haven’t realized how delicious zucchini is yet, so this was a meal just for my husband and I (they don’t know what they were missing). Thankfully, it’s a really fast meal to make, so I don’t mind making them just for the adults.
Ham & Cheese Zucchini Boats
- 1 large yellow or green zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the Zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop the insides out of the zucchini and chop it it up. Set it aside.
- Place the zucchini halves in a microwave and oven safe dish and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Heat a frying pan to medium. Add the olive oil and once that is hot brown the garlic and onion. Add the zucchini innards, tomato and ham to the frying pan and heat it all together for a few minutes until it is hot.
- Divide the frying pan mixture evenly between the two zucchini halves, sprinkle both with salt and pepper and top it with the grated cheese.
- Heat in the oven for 8-10 minutes to melt the cheese.
There you have it, dinner in fifteen minutes and it’s healthy food too! I did end up convincing my daughter to give it a try and she decided it was okay. I’ll take it! My husband and I both enjoyed it a lot and I plan to make it more often since I have a lot of zucchini growing out there!
Discover more delicious meal ideas on the Maple Leaf Foods Facebook page.
I have been compensated for this post, but all opinions expressed are my own, and all recipes and photos are my own.