I have been mixing up delectable sweets with Carnation® Evaporated Milk for years. Pies, cakes, brownies and other delicious treats are always a big hit over the holidays, but Carnation® Evaporated Milk doesn’t have to just be used for desserts and sweets. You can use it in your everyday cooking too. It has less water than milk so it adds a rich and creamy texture to your recipes, like this cream of mushroom soup shown below. It’s also very simple to use and comes in three different varieties: Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk.
Creamy soups are particularly easy to make with Carnation® Evaporated Milk. Making them at home rather than purchasing canned soups allows you to control the amount of salt and fat that goes into your recipe, and homemade always tastes better! You can find many delicious recipes like the one below on the Carnation® Evaporated Milk website, so that you can make your own homemade soups too!
Soup Recipe: Cream of Mushroom
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes (there will be some moisture from the mushrooms). Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in evaporated milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Purée soup with immersion blender or in food processor. Season to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- • Garnish with sautéed mushroom slices.
You can watch the video below to see the steps in the recipe. It is a very simple soup to make!
The end result was a creamy and flavourful mushroom soup. It was the perfect lunch for a cool autumn day, and it’s a recipe I am proud to share with my family.
What is your favourite homemade soup?
Although this post has been generously sponsored by Smucker Foods of Canada Corp. and they sent me free product samples, the opinions and language are all my own, and in no way do they reflect Smucker Foods of Canada Corp.