There’s nothing better than seeing your child smile. I want to keep my kids’ smiles looking healthy and bright, and proper dental care is essential for that to happen. Poor dental health can also have adverse effects on a person’s quality of life, including a person’s physical, mental and social well-being. I don’t want that for my children, so here are some tricks I use to ensure they are taking good care of their teeth:
- Provide electric toothbrushes to ensure they are getting the best cleaning possible
- Buy flavoured toothpaste that they will like to use
- Keep child sized floss sticks on hand to promote flossing
- Use a timer or teach them to sing a song to ensure they brush for 2-3 minutes
- Remind them to brush three times a day
- Reward them for excellent checkups at the dentist (but not with candy!)
There are health issues that can only be detected by your dentist, so regular check ups are extremely important. Your dentist can treat these problems and can also prevent other dental issues that you may not be aware of.
Proper dental hygiene isn’t just important for children. We adults need to take good care of our mouths too. In order for adults to prevent tooth decay and gum disease, we also need to brush at least twice a day for 2-3 minutes and see a dentist regularly. Here are some more tips for adults to maintain strong teeth and gums:
- Avoiding smoking and drug use
- Reduce stress
- Wear a mouth guard while playing sports
- Use a mouth guard if you grind your teeth at night
- Eat a balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruit and vegetables
- Floss at least once a day
Taking good care of your teeth is a great way to show your children how to do the same. When was the last time you saw a dentist? Call your dentist to book your next appointment today! Don’t have a dentist? Click here.
Although this post has been generously sponsored by the Ontario Dental Association, the opinions and language are my own, and in no way do they reflect the Ontario Dental Association.