Traveling with a family is fun and rewarding, but it also requires patience, flexibility and a lot of planning. Here are some tips that work in my family for easier travels.
- Don’t tell the kids you are traveling until you have to.
- If you are taking the kids out of school, speak to their teachers and get work for them to do during travel times.
- Keep a travel wallet that contains emergency contact information, insurance cards and travel ID.
- Order any necessary foreign currency from Foreign Cash Online, and have it delivered to your home or airport.
- Store travel toiletries in a large ziploc bag so you can just transfer it to the suitcase rather than packing them each time.
- Make a packing list for the kids, so they can gather everything on their own (but be sure to check it later because sometimes they miss items).
- If your hotel or vacation house has laundry facilities, pack laundry detergent and go home with freshly laundered clothes that can be put away.
- If you are traveling outside of your country, purchase a cell phone plan for at least one phone so that you can always be reached if necessary.
- Download the appropriate airline app so you will be notified in any flight delays or changes right away.
- Do not schedule every minute of your trip. Downtime is important too.
- Share your itinerary with someone staying behind, in case of emergency.
- Check in for flights from home, and print your boarding passes.
- Leave for the airport earlier than you would when traveling alone.
- Develop back-up plans for everything from transportation to meals to activities.
- When things don’t go as planned, go with the flow!
One of my lucky readers will win a $100 Prepaid CIBC Gift Card by sharing your favourite travel tip!
This post is brought to you by CIBC Foreign Cash OnlineTM. All opinions are those of the author.