This is my first attempt at making truffles. They tasted great, but my dipping skills definitely could use some improving.
Candy Recipe: Chocolate Truffles
Recipe Type: Candy
Prep time: 20 mins
Total time: 20 mins
These chocolate truffles are a delicious sweet treat.
- 1 1/3 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup soft butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- Mix the icing sugar and butter until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Place the milk chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on medium for 1 minute. Remove and stir. Microwave in 15 second intervals until you can stir it into a smooth chocolate mixture. Add the chocolate to the icing sugar bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add peppermint extract if you choose.
- Place parchment paper in a 9×9 cake pan and spread the mixture on top of the parchment paper. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and cut into squares/rectangles of your desired size.
- Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and shortening to a microwave safe bowl and heat in the same manner as the milk chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.
- Using forks, dips the truffles in the melted chocolate to cover, and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it.
- Refrigerate when finished. Should be hardened in approximately 10 minutes.
- Once hardened, trim the excess chocolate.
- Keep refrigerated.
I may need more practice at dipping, but the flavour is spot on! Now if I can just learn to make my own mint smoothies…