In ten days kids all over the country will be donning fun costumes and heading out into the neighbourhoods in search of treats. It’s a night that kids look forward to for months, but it’s also a night that parents need to do some preparation for. Ensuring the kids have a safe night is the most important thing and we can start with providing them with flashlights to light their way through the dark streets. Duracell Coppertop Batteries are the right choice to power your kids’ Halloween flashlights because they provide long lasting power that parents can count on.
My 12 and 13 year olds each want to trick or treat with their friends this year, rather than heading out with mom and dad. I know it’s time for me to let them go, but I’m a little apprehensive. Ensuring they are using reliable flashlights powered with Duracell Coppertop Batteries helps me to loosen the reigns because I know that they can see better, and anyone else out there can see them too.
Lighting the jack-o-lanters is an important Halloween tradition and we can make it a safe tradition too by using a battery operated candle inside the pumpkin instead of a candle with a flame. I create a dim and eerie setting inside the house using these candles too!
The Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs has some recommendations for keeping your kids safe this Halloween:
- Dangerous Décor: Jack-o-lanterns maybe a time-honored tradition, but they also represent a fire hazard. Instead of using a candle, place small flashlight or battery powered candle inside of the Jack-o-lantern. Using a long lasting battery like a Duracell Coppertop Battery will help keep them powered all night long.
- Don’t Blow It: When it comes to powering Halloween decorations, it’s easy to go overboard. But overloading extension cords and breakers is a fire hazard and will ruin the night. Be mindful of the decorations being used and when possible, opt for battery powered.
- Costume Considerations: When selecting this year’s Halloween costume, pick brightly coloured costumes that can be clearly seen by motorists. Add reflective tape to the costume to increase visibility.
- Light the way: Make sure everyone in the Halloween trick-or-treating party has a flashlight and trust that on Halloween they will have the power to light their way home with a Duracell Coppertop Battery. This will help make kids more visible to motorists and others. When is doubt, stay in well-lit areas and only visit homes with their lights turned on
- Strength in Numbers: While always advised to have a parent present, at some point kids will want to trick-or-treat on their own. Give yourself peace of mind and make sure there is a party of at least three people.
- Know the Route: The temptation to collect as much candy as possible is understandable, but ill-advised. The safest option is to limit trick-or-treating to well-known neighbourhoods.
- Quality Control: Make sure kids resist the urge to sample the spoils of trick-or-treating until an adult has inspected the candy to see if it has been tampered with.
By picking up some Duracell Coppertop batteries and taking a few precautions, your family can enjoy a safe and fun Halloween. One of my lucky readers can also win a Halloween trick-or-treating safety kit which includes Duracell Quantum batteries, a Coleman flashlight and wearable reflectors to make sure that their family will have the power to light their way home with Duracell.