ABOUT MRS. DASH
A working mom gets creative
For Carol Bernick, Executive Chairman of the Alberto-Culver Company, necessity really was the mother of invention. In the 1980’s, when Carol was a marketing exec at the Alberto Culver Co., she was frustrated with the products available to flavor the nutritious meals she prepared at home for her family. She needed a convenient way to flavor the food without using salt. So, Carol got creative in the kitchen and invented a salt-free blend of her own. Working with a variety of spice suppliers, Carol tasted, tested and tweaked until the blend in the bottle was just right. The result is Mrs. Dash® Original Blend, now the most popular salt-free blend in the seasoning category.
Since we’ve created the perfect seasoning blend, now your meals can be perfectly seasoned every time.
Today, Mrs. Dash® Seasoning Blends are available in 14 different varieties that add flavor to foods — everything from seafood to salad and meat to mixed vegetables.
Original Blend, Garlic & Herb, Table Blend, Extra Spicy, Onion & Herb, Lemon Pepper, Italian Medley, Tomato Basil Garlic, Southwest Chipotle, Fiesta Lime, Caribbean Citrus, Steak Grilling Blend, Chicken Grilling Blend, and Hamburger Grilling Blend.
The salt-free flavor is also available in Mrs. Dash® Marinades in 6 varieties: Zesty Garlic Herb, Lemon Herb Peppercorn, Mesquite Grille, Southwestern Chipotle, Spicy Teriyaki and Garlic Lime.
These non-sulfited herbs and spices are salt-free, all-natural with no MSG.
I am a busy working mom, and I don’t have a lot of time for making fancy dinners. Mrs. Dash makes that easy with a huge variety of spices to choose from. I love that they have grilling blends, since my favourite meals are made on the barbecue. I really like that Mrs. Dash spices do not include salt. My husband’s family has a high rate of high blood pressure, and I would like to have less salt in our diets. The table blend gives an alternative to salt, which is perfect for those of us who like to add something to our meals.
I love the huge variety of recipes available on the Mrs. Dash website, and I want to share a couple of them here.
Hearty Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Serves 4 • Prep Time: 6 min • Cook Time: 9 min to 10 min
- 4 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice or mixed rice
- 12 oz. frozen vegetable medley of you choosing, defrosted
- cooking spray
- Heat an ovenproof 12 inch sauté pan to medium heat.
- Spray with cooking spray and add chicken breasts. Brown on each side 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable medley and sprinkle on Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend. Stir. Cook 2 minutes in preheated 350°F oven. Add cooked rice and continue to cook another 4 minutes.
- Remove. Cover lightly with foil. Rest 2 minutes. Plate chicken to individual or family platters, spooning rice and vegetable blend under and around.
Broccoli with Shaved Cheddar
Serves 4 • Prep Time: 10 min • Cook Time: 34 min to 35 min
- 2 Tbsp. Mrs. Dash® Original Seasoning Blend
- 2 cups fresh broccoli, cut into 3 inch pieces
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. cheddar cheese, shredded
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray 9 x 9 x 2 inch pan with pan coat.
- Toss all ingredients except cheddar cheese in bowl.
- Lay broccoli mix in pan. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Return to oven until melted. Serve.
You can find these and many other great recipes on the Mrs. Dash website and at the Mrs. Dash Facebook page.