I always thought that if I only ever introduced whole grain breads to my kids, they would naturally enjoy them and not ever want to eat white bread. I was so naive! They have friends and grandparents and neighbours who gave them white bread and opened their eyes to bread without seeds and visible grains, and they embraced it. They refused my bread and any attempt I made to sneak whole grain or even whole wheat breads into their diets.
Thankfully, I discovered WONDER+ SimplyFree bread and we found a happy compromise. They thought they were getting white bread, and I knew they were getting the nutrients and grains that we find in whole wheat bread. I was even happier when I found out Wonder Bread now makes Wonder+ SimplyFree hot dog and hamburger buns! It is the first Canadian National Brand of bakery products (including NEW white hotdog and hamburger buns) made with unbleached wheat flour and FREE OF artificial preservatives, flavours and colours. They are also free of high fructose corn syrup. Now I can feel great about our weekend barbecue dinners of hot dogs and hamburgers!
We will be having one of those BBQ weekends during our Victoria Day long weekend. I love to BBQ because it’s a quick and easy way to prepare dinner, and there is no mess! The best part is that Dad does the cooking! The kids play in the back yard while he cooks and I savour a few minutes of peace before supper is ready…it’s heaven, and the perfect way to enjoy a long weekend!
Here are some of the fun ways that Wonder+ SimplyFree is celebrating summer:
- Wonder+ SimplyFree BBQ Recipes – Check out the first two WONDER+ SimplyFree recipes available through the Canadian Living, Summer Fun Comes Naturally site (there will be 10 in total before the end of the summer) –
- “Progressive Coupon” offer for SimplyFree buns on WONDER’s Facebook page – Click the “Like” (icon) on the Wonder Bread Facebook page to reserve your Progressive Coupon. The more you share it and the more your friends “Like” it, the more it’s worth – up to Buy One, Get One Free!
- Check out the Wonder Bread website http://wonderbread.ca/ where it will provide you with all the details and an opportunity to reserve your coupon today!
- Learn more about barbecuing…two great topics will be covered on the Canadian Living website, Summer Fun Comes Naturally section. “Learn How to Build a Better BBQ” () and “The History of Barbecuing in Canadian Culture” ().
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Grinding chicken thighs for this burger, rather than using the already-ground chicken, gives the best flavour and texture. A Caprese salad topping of Bocconcini cheese, tomatoes and basil adds a fresh kick.
This recipe makes 4 servings
- 4 slices Canadian bocconcini cheese, (one 4-oz/125 g ball)
1 plum tomato, sliced
4 fresh basil leaves
4 hamburger buns
1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp (15 mL) water
1/2 onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup (75 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup (50 mL) dry bread crumbs
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh basil
2 tbsp (25 mL) oil packed sun dried tomatoes
1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper
Patties: In food processor, pulse chicken until coarsely ground; set aside.
In large bowl, beat egg with water; stir in onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper. Mix in chicken. Shape into four 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
Place patties on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until digital thermometer inserted sideways into centre reads 165°F (74°C), 12 to 14 minutes.
Sandwich burgers, Bocconcini, tomato and basil in buns.
I am participating in the Wonder+ SimplyFree program by Mom Central Canada on behalf of Weston Bakeries. I received a gift card and free product coupons as a thank you for my participation. The opinions on this blog are my own.