I’m a busy Mom. Who isn’t busy these days? We have jobs and kids and spouses who need things through the day, and it’s easy to put ourselves last. I know that I need to exercise. I feel healthier, happier and more relaxed when I include regular exercise in my day, but I can’t always get to the gym. Here are some ways to include exercise and movement in your day, without having to go to the gym.
- Walk the kids to and from school. It’s not only good for you, but it’s teaching the kids good habits too.
- Cut the grass or shovel the snow. They both need to be done anyway, so make it a workout. Need a little extra workout? Do the neighbour’s house too! They will love you for it.
- Use the upstairs washroom, or downstairs, depending on where you are. Just adding some extra steps in your day can make a difference! If you don’t have a washroom on different levels, just make an extra trip up the stairs now and then.
- Vacuum. Obviously this works best if you have some carpet, but it is a great way to get a chore done, and get your body moving. Alternate hands for an extra workout.
- Use an exercise band to give your legs a workout while you do some work on the computer. Tie the ends together to make a loop, and slip it around your ankles. Do legs lifts, alternating legs.
- Play with the kids! Go for a bike ride, join a game of tag, jump on the trampoline (that is a workout!). You are teaching them to be active, getting your body moving and creating valuable family moments.
- Rearrange the furniture. Be safe, don’t try to move a 200 lb couch with no help, but within reason you can put your muscles to work and give your home a fresh new look at the same time!
- Plant a garden. Digging, carrying soil bags, planting, weeding…it will keep you busy and either give you a beautiful flower bed, or grow you vegetables to also stay healthy.