Spend More Time Doing the Things You Love this Holiday Season
Visa survey looks at how Canadians can save time, money and stress by shopping online
This holiday season, savvy Canadian shoppers can spend smarter – saving money and time by scoring great merchant deals at visaperks.ca.
According to a recent holiday survey by Ipsos Reid commissioned by Visa Canada, Canadians expect to spend an average of eight hours in the mall during the holiday season – the equivalent of a full day’s work – compared to an anticipated four hours of online shopping. With variety and savings at the click of a mouse, shopping online is an easy, efficient and time saving way to check loved ones off your gift list.
Canadian Holiday Shopping Trends
- 54% of Canadians have made an online purchase in the last 12 months.
- 51% of Canadians said that they are more likely than last year to shop online this holiday season.
- On average, Canadians plan on spending 8.1 hours shopping in the mall and 3.9 hours shopping online this holiday season.
- Maritimers plan to spend the most time in the mall (9.2 hours), while Quebecers anticipate spending the least (7.5 hours).
- Ontarians plan to spend the most time online shopping (4.4 hours), while those from Saskatchewan/Manitoba rate the lowest (3.1 hours).
- Crowds (35%), long lineups (22%) and parking lot chaos (11%) continue to be the elements Canadians like least about holiday shopping.
- If Canadians had a little extra time over the holidays they would choose to relax (58%), spend more time with family (54%), and spend time with friends (38%).
Canadian Holiday Shopping Trends by Age
- 72% of Canadians between 18-34 years old have made an online purchase in the last 12 months.
- 68% of Canadians between 18-34 years claim to be more likely than last year to shop online this holiday season.
Canadian Holiday Shopping Trends by Gender
- More than half of Canadian males (53%) and females (55%) have made an online purchase in the last 12 months.
- Canadian males expect to spend 7.2 hours shopping at the mall this holiday season, while females expect to spend 8.9 hours.
- Female Canadians expect to spend 3.5 hours shopping online during the holiday season, while males expect to spend 4.3 hours.
If you shop from home, Visaperks offers Visa cardholders exclusive merchant discounts and offers on everything from fashion, beauty and accessories to electronics, travel and much, much more. These discounts, available to all Visa cardholders, feature both online and in-store offers such as 35 per cent off select ThinkPad, ThinkCentre or Think Accessory products at lenovo online, 20 per cent off regular-priced Parasuco merchandise online, 20 per cent off umbra.com regular-priced online merchandise, and 15 per cent off purchases of $100 or more from Birks.com.
What kind of shopper are you?
I like the immediate gratification of shopping, so I definitely prefer to be in the stores, but if I can find a better deal online, I will always buy it online. I definitely don’t mind missing the busy parking lots and frazzled shoppers during the Holiday season though, so shopping online is a benefit for that!
Tell me what kind of shopper you are for a chance to win a $50 prepaid Visa giftard from visaperks.ca.
Ends November 29th