I am constantly seeking out healthy substitutions for the foods that we already eat and love. When you can find healthy alternatives, there is a smaller chance of feeling deprived of the foods that you enjoy. Bread is a hard one in my house. We like sandwiches and toast, burgers and grilled cheese. It’s hard to convince children that these aren’t the best choices, so we just replace them with something similar but better.
Ozery’s offers a range of flatbreads and buns that are free of artificial preservatives, colours, flavours and additives. Not only are they free of preservatives, but Ozery’s OneBun® is a nutritious and versatile alternative to heavier, traditional hamburger buns as they’re cholesterol free and a source of dietary fibre, Omega-3 and iron.
The OneBun® has all the best elements of a traditional sandwich and hamburger bun combined with the benefits of healthy Whole Grains. Lower in fat, free of artificial preservatives and flatter in shape, the thin Whole Grain buns are great for sandwiches, burgers, garnished with pizza toppings or for making panini. OneBun® products are available at major grocery stores across Ontario, Quebec and parts of Eastern Canada and they come in the following varieties:
- Original OneBun® Multi Grain & Flax
- 100 Calorie Multi Grain OneBun®
- Zero Low Low OneBun® Light Rye
- Folded Flats Multi Grain OneBun®
It’s time for a cookout refresher, especially when it comes to just the right ingredients. Take a look at these 10 easy quick tips, courtesy of the popular food brand, Ozery’s Pita Break:
- Great flavour with bold ingredients: Try incorporating bolder ingredients into your grilling sauces and marinades. Consider chilies or a dash of sriracha for heat, citrus zest for fresh flavour or even leftover herb stems from parsley or cilantro. Your taste buds won’t be disappointed. Tip: for easy marinating, try using a resealable bag.
- It’s all about the bun: Instead of the regular bulky hamburger and hotdog buns, consider an alternative with added nutritional benefits. For example, the tasty OneBun from Ozery’s Pita Break contains whole grains, is lower in fat and is free of artificial preservatives. There is also a folded flat version designed for hotdogs – and this 100 calorie bun is a sound option for portion control.
- Condiments are key: Condiment staples like ketchup and mustard are a necessity, but don’t be afraid to have a little fun. Set up a condiment bar containing the classics, but consider additions like banana peppers, sauerkraut, sriracha or blue cheese and let your guests get creative.
- Don’t forget your veggies: Whether for salads, as kabobs, or to eat on their own, there’s nothing better than vegetables cooked on the grill. Fan favourites include, but are certainly not limited to, eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, asparagus and corn on the cob.
- Stick-free grilling: Cleaning and greasing the grill grate is such a simple step, but is often overlooked. Why is this important? It helps prevent food from sticking to the grill or falling apart as you try to flip it – and it will also make clean up quick and easy.
- Food safety: Avoid cross-contamination by storing raw meat separately from other foods. When it comes time to cook, make sure you’re using separate dishes and utensils. Finally, don’t forget to wash everything – including your hands.
- Time it: Keep an eye on the time to avoid over or undercooking your food. In addition to a timer, don’t be afraid to embrace a food thermometer to ensure your food is being grilled to perfection.
- Let food rest before serving: This will help maximize tenderness and juiciness. Place it on a warm plate or platter and cover loosely with foil. As a rule of thumb, for every 100 grams of meat, let it rest for one minute.
- Think outside the box: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your grilling. For the curious eater, embrace foods such as avocado, stone fruit or oysters. Impress guests with your own twist.
- Stay cool and collected: When hosting a larger gathering, stay cool and collected when guests arrive by doing as much prep and cooking in advance. Better yet – invite guests to bring a dish.
Additional recipe ideas are available at www.pitabreak.com.
One of my lucky readers will win a BBQ Essentials Prize Pack which is valued at over $50 and includes tools for the grill, outdoor serving items and the Ozery’s Pita Break OneBun range of products.