While it may not be the most photogenic dish, this Keto Chicken Carbonara is delicious and has only 5 grams of carbohydrates per serving. It is also high in fat, as you want in the keto diet, and it is easy to make.
My husband and I started the new year with some major changes in how we eat. I’ve long heard about the benefits of eating a diet higher in healthy fats with very few carbs, like the keto diet. As a carb addict, this never sounded that appealing to me but the scale isn’t appealing to me either so I decided to give it a try. So far things are going really well. I enjoy the food that we are eating and I don’t feel hungry or deprived.
Here is a recipe I created that fits into the keto diet that we are following. It is high in fat and protein and low in carbs, and it tastes great!
Keto Chicken Carbonara
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hr
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (thighs)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ med onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ package cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 pieces of bacon (pre-cooked)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and place the chicken in the dish.
- Place a medium saucepan on medium heat and melt butter in the pan.
- Add the onion to the melted butter and carmelize until brown.
- Add the garlic and brown it for a minute or two before adding the cream to the pan.
- Mix for another minute or two until the cream mixture is hot, then add the cream cheese.
- Stir until the cream cheese is melted before adding the parmesan cheese and salt.
- Chop the bacon and add it to the mixture.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the chicken and cook for 40 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
For an even lower carb count, use onion and garlic powder and substitute half of the heavy cream with whole milk.
Our kids are not reducing carbs in the same way that we are. They still eat cereal and bread, but we aren’t buying sugary treats and they are eating the same meals that I make for our diet. The keto chicken carbonara was a hit with two out of three kids and that is a win in my house!