Waffles are highly coveted by my children. Since I didn’t have a waffle maker before receiving the Breville No Mess Waffle Maker, they had to wait until we were out somewhere to order waffles. You can imagine how often they asked to go out for breakfast!
Thankfully, those days are over and now I can make them waffles right here at home. As much as I love a hot breakfast, I had never made my own waffles before and I wasn’t entirely sure of what I was doing. I quickly lost the manual and decided to wing it with a recipe I found online. I mixed it up and filled the maker with batter…
So that’s why they call it a “No Mess” waffle maker! I realized right away that I had put too much batter on the grill but thankfully the overflow caught all of the excess and I wasn’t scraping batter off of the counter. I had set the waffle maker to light-medium and it beeped when it was done cooking.
Voila! My perfectly cooked light-medium waffle! It lifted out perfectly and I cut off the excess that had spilled over. While I was pretty proud of my first attempt at waffles, they weren’t as tasty as some I have had at restaurants. A visit to the Breville website helped me find a free booklet full of recipes, including the Belgian Waffle Batter recipe I shared below.
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
5 oz. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2¼ cups self-rising flour
¼ cup baker’s sugar
1. Place egg yolks, milk, butter and vanilla in a large jug and whisk until well combined.
2. Combine flour and sugar into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
3. Carefully whisk in egg and milk mixture to form a smooth batter.
4. Beat egg whites with electric beaters until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
5. Select BELGIAN setting and dial up LIGHT/DARK indicator dial to suit your preference.
6. Preheat until orange light flashes up and the words HEATING disappear.
7. Pour ½ cup of batter into each waffle square and close lid to cook.
8. Repeat with remaining batter.
If waffles aren’t your thing, you can whip up a quick omelette in the waffle maker, or even make a fancy grilled cheese!