One of my most requested side dishes is scalloped potatoes. I’m not talking about the kind that comes in a box, although I did eat a lot of those in my college years and I’m known to settle when I’m pressed for time, I mean the kind made from scratch. My Mom made me homemade scalloped potatoes for my birthday every year, and now I make them for my family whenever I can. There are a few bacon enthusiasts in the house, so I recently adjusted my recipe to include bacon and cheese.
- 5 large potatoes, sliced
- 6 bacon strips, cooked until crisp
- 2 cups grated old cheddar
- 1¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup onion
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Layer half of the potato slices in a greased casserole dish.
- Crumble half of the bacon on top.
- Spread half of the grated cheese on top.
- Mix the milk, flour, butter, salt, pepper and onion in a blender.
- Pour half of the mixture evenly over the potatoes, bacon and cheese.
- Repeat the layering with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the potatoes are soft.
The end result is a cheesy crust on top with creamy scalloped potatoes underneath. It is great next to ham or any of your favourite meat dishes.