A cup of soup is just what you need during a cold spell like the one we’ve been experiencing. It warms the body and the soul, and it’s easy on the budget too! Cream of mushroom soup is one of my comfort foods and with this recipe, it can become yours too.
Creamy soups are particularly easy to make with Evaporated Milk. Making them at home rather than purchasing canned soups allows you to control the amount of salt and fat that goes into your recipe, and homemade always tastes better!
Soup Recipe: Cream of Mushroom
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cups Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes (there will be some moisture from the mushrooms). Stir in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in stock, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in evaporated milk. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Purée soup with immersion blender or in food processor. Season to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley.
- • Garnish with sautéed mushroom slices.
The end result was a creamy and flavourful mushroom soup. It was the perfect lunch for a cool autumn day, and it’s a recipe I am proud to share with my family.
What is your favourite homemade soup?